Competent Person's Register

Competent Persons Scheme

Competent person self-certification schemes (commonly referred to as competent person schemes) were introduced by the Government in 2002 to allow individuals and enterprises to self-certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations as an alternative to submitting a building notice or using an approved inspector.


The principles of self-certification are based on giving people who are competent in their field the ability to self-certify that their work complies with the Building Regulations without the need to submit a building notice and thus incurring local authority inspections or fees. It is hoped that moving towards self-certification will significantly enhance compliance with the requirements of the Building Regulations, reduce costs for firms joining recognised schemes, and promote training and competence within the industry. It should also help tackle the problem of 'cowboy builders', and assist local authorities with enforcement of the Building Regulations.

Full details on the role of competent persons are available from

The competent person schemes operators have established a website to provide the consumer with the ability to search for a Competent Person registered with one of the schemes: Competent Persons Register. This site is being updated and members of different competent person schemes will be included in the near future.

Colin Gordon Electrical Installations

We are registered with Elecsa, certificate numer BPP58350

About the CPR:

The Competent Persons Register (CPR) represents all of the contractors in the building services industry that have been assessed as being competent by a government authorised certification scheme. Contractors on this register are regularly assessed to the standards of their sector and able to self-certify their work as meeting the requirements of the building regulations. This means that by using a contractor from this site, you save time and money in having to contact your local authority yourself.

Further information on the Local Authority Building Control can be found here