Some questions answered

A short guide to Part-P of the building regulations

In 2005 the Government introduced electrical safety rules into the Building Regulations for England and Wales.
Because of this, most fixed electrical installation work in homes must, by law, meet the Building Regulations
Part P states that anyone carrying out electrical installation work in a home must make sure that the work is designed and installed to protect people from fire and electric shocks.

Part P applies to newly built homes and to any changes made to existing installations, including any parts that have been rewired. You can find full details on Part P on the Communities and Local Government website:

In April 2013 changes were introduced, reducing the range of electrical installation work that is notifiable - removing some requirements in kitchens and outdoors. What electrical work is covered by this law?
All electrical installation work in a home, garden, conservatory or outbuilding must meet the Building Regulations.
Apart from some types of minor work, all electrical work must either be reported to the local-authority building-control, or be carried out by an electrician who is registered with one of the Government-approved scheme providers.

Who is responsible for making sure that electrical work meets the requirements of Part-P?

By law, all homeowners and landlords must be able to prove that all electrical installation work meets Part P, or they will be committing a criminal offence. Local authorities can make homeowners or landlords remove or alter any work that does not meet the Building Regulations.

We recommend that you use a qualified, registered electrician to do any electrical installation work in your property.

What do I need to do before electrical installation work can be carried out in my home?

If the work is notifiable, you must either:

  • Tell your local-authority building-control about the installation work before it starts, or
  • Employ an electrician who is registered with one of the Government-approved Part P schemes.
  • Report any problems to your landlord straight away.
  • Why should I use a registered electrician?

    The advantages of using a registered electrician are:

  • You will not have to pay any building-control charges.
  • The Part P registered electrician can deal with everything for you.
  • The electrician will arrange for you to receive a certificate that confirms the work meets Building Regulations.
  • You have access to a formal complaints procedure if the work doesn't meet Building Regulations.
  • You can choose to take out an insurance-backed guaranteed when you have the work done, and you can make a claim if the work is later found not to meet Building Regulations.
  • Further information and download of the Part-P document can be found here